Monday, August 6, 2012

Tom Barnes

Alright so the last artist I want to look at for today is Tom Barnes. He is a watercolor painter, and boy, does he like color!!

Delilah
The painting, "Delilah," along with his other similar women paintings, apparently are influenced by his experience spending the summers growing up, with his aunts (I'm guessing they were his aunts) (http://www.tombarnesfineart.com/about_artist.htm). Anyways, according to the section about him on his website, "The combination of femininity expressed by the two grand dames, the heady paintings and statues of the museum, and a gift from God for things artistic, all came together" in this and other paintings of the "long neck ladies" (http://www.tombarnesfineart.com/about_artist.htm).

Flowers in Motion
I really do love his paintings of flowers (if you could not already tell by all the photos of them in this blog!) The use of color, of course, I love. I also like the different feel each of the paintings has, due to the different color palettes and painting techniques of each one. "Flowers In Motion" reminds me of a sunny, spring day among wildflowers. "Gladiolis I" is calmer. I love the color scheme in it, but both the colors and the smoother style of painting gives it a more mellow, almost more serious feel than the other two. And "Still Life With Flowers"is so fun! The colors are bright and lively, and the line and style of painting, with the splotches and circles representing the flowers, add to the bold, spontaneous feel of the painting.

Gladioli I

Still Life With Flowers
-Maria

http://www.tombarnesfineart.com/  <-- this is where I found the info! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment