Thursday, August 2, 2012

April Gornik

Next on the line-up of landscape artists is April Gornik. I really, really like her work! I mean, I like the others' works too, but hers I really like! It's so life-like and there's color! Eeee! She also seems to paint the kind of scenery that I really love-- water, lighting that brings out bold colors, lots of contrast, etc. 

Dawn Light

Artist Statement (taken from her website):
"I am an artist that values, above all, the ability of art to move me emotionally and psychically. I make art that makes me question, that derives its power from being vulnerable to interpretation, that is intuitive, that is beautiful. "


Dune Sky
Well her work is definitely beautiful and moving. Majestic. I feel like majestic describes some of the sceneries in her paintings, like "Dune Sky" and even "The Fall." For her drawing, "Light in the Woods," there's a feeling of peace and mystery, but also adventure. If I were to come across this scene in real life, I wouldn't want to make a sound, but I would still want to explore and venture further. 

Light in The Woods

The Fall
The above painting of the field and trees with ominous clouds looming overhead gives the clear message that a storm is brewing. I could imagine that it is the quiet right before the storm. If I were there, I would want to head inside as soon as I could, knowing that a fantastically huge storm is about to take place.
Moonlight At The Shore
"Moonlight At The Shore" gives me a tranquil feeling. It is quite beautiful, with the light reflecting off of the lapping waves. I would want to just be still and listen to the water in a place like this.

Gornik's pieces are successful in evoking emotions and feelings. She sees what moves her in nature and then depicts them in her pieces so as to move her viewers. That's good.

-Maria

http://www.aprilgornik.com/index.html <-- her site where I found her info and pictures of her works



No comments:

Post a Comment