Monday, August 20, 2012

Ann Kullberg

Alright, so taking a break from batik for a little and moving onto colored pencil drawings, my next artist is Ann Kullberg. Her works are so good and I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
Broken Rules
So "Broken Rules" I think is my favorite of her drawings. I love the use of space, the colors used, and I adore the photorealistic quality of the details. The lighting in this drawing and the other drawings of hers plays a significant role and adds to the realism.
I made this particular drawing so big because I want you to see how crazy-good it is! I have not really dabbled in colored pencil drawings that much, so my skill level is rather beginner, but I have a friend who does colored pencil drawings, and they are awesome. So I already knew that this level of quality was achievable, but I am still blown away when I see works like this.
Erica's Chair
Kullberg likes to do portraits, and she seems to like to pose them in a way that makes them look contemplative, or like their mind is elsewhere. It does give the drawing a look like it is a candid picture; it makes the person in the picture look more genuine. When someone is looking right at the "camera," it would be easier to imagine that she is making sure to sit up straighter and give a big smile, but if she is not looking at the "camera" or viewer, it looks like she has been caught unaware and is doing what she naturally does. So the guy in "The Listener" was already in the chair by the window, thinking and listening, and the girl in "Erica's Chair" had been reading there the whole time. (I realize that people pose that way, too, but the LOOK of it appears to be more natural.)
Sunwashed

The Listener
I like Kullberg's style, both in the set up and in the quality.

-Maria

http://www.annkullberg.com/gallery_ann.php  <-- to find more drawings of hers, check it out!

1 comment: