Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Emmy Star Brown

47 down, 3 more to go!!

Okay, so again, breaking from the norm, and as one of my final artists I decided to look at Emmy Star Brown. Apparently she takes old windows and redeems them in a way by cleaning them up and drawing fun, pretty designs on them. She uses different sharpies, which goes along with the Sharpie campaign she's doing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq0cMQfgaus&feature=player_embedded)
Black Heart
According to the video, for her dad "one of his passions was finding salvaged things." She says that this was a big influence on her and is seen translated into this art of hers. In the video she also says how she likes the old frames juxtaposed with the newer, fancier, "controlled" drawings on them.
Dancer
I like the look of these a lot. Even though the designs, themselves, can be rather intricate, there is a simplicity about them as a whole. I think in this case the empty space in the glass does a lot for each piece in balancing them out and adding to the grace and elegance of the designs.
Swan
The "Black Heart" and "White Pinwheel" are cool designs and the fact that they are on one panel gives them a simpler look. But at the same time, I like the added interest that the pieces where the design spans across multiple panes give, like in "Swan" and "Dancer."
White Pinwheel
I admire her freedom of expression seen in her window paintings. I usually think too much about who, what, when, where, how,  instead of just letting myself make it as I go.

-Maria

http://www.emmystarbrown.com/?page_id=1561  <-- check out her website! It's really worthwhile!

No comments:

Post a Comment