Monday, August 6, 2012

Mia Liu

So when I was looking for landscape artists, I ran across the works of Mia Liu, and bookmarked the page because her stuff is really cool and I wanted to look at it after I finished looking at the landscape artists. Well, I am done looking at the landscape artists, so here we go!
Apparently she takes paper such as the tickets from the Guggenheim Museum to make these pieces. Then, especially in the close-up photo, you can see that by using color, and cutting the paper so that some areas come forward and are highlighted and other areas recede and create the shadowed, darker areas; the different elements work together to form the larger composition.

I can only imagine all of the fine (and probably tedious!) detail work that went into this. Not to mention the fact that she had to somehow keep everything coordinated and working together. I really do not know how she does it, but I wish I did!


I really haven't seen anything like this. I wish I knew what her inspiration was, or the messages expressed by the pieces. 

...haha, well, now that I just found an interview with her on youtube, I now KNOW why! Apparently she worked in the ticket office at the Guggenheim but was bummed because she did not want to be in the Guggenheim if she was away from the art part of it. She then got the idea to do her own show with the tickets and the Guggenheim accepted her idea. 

The flowers apparently are part of her pretend garden idea. The idea is that since she lives in New York this is the only where she can have her own garden or her own landscape, like one of her pieces, based off of Central Park. 


Here's the interview I found with her on youtube. (Woohoo!)
http://youtu.be/0VFV2ZNtThk

-Maria

http://www.flickr.com/people/mialiu/   <--Here are some blogs with info about Liu
http://artisticthings.com/mia-liu/

No comments:

Post a Comment