Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Debbie Friedman

Moving on to the next artist, Debbie Friedman. She uses colored pencils in her drawings, sometimes adding water to add an element of painting to them. I have included pieces of hers from different series in this blog. Two of them are from her Stones series, as she calls it on her blog.
Green Vase
On her blog she notes the colors of the stones and how they interact with the water and glass vase they are resting in. I love this! The detail of the stones, glass, and water are each given due attention to detail.
Peacock Feather
Alright so I had to include "Peacock Feather" in this blog. Would you look at that detail?! Only one other time have I seen feathers that were that detailed. The colorful feather works nicely, contrasting the monochromatic sand dollars and the blue background. Though I still am not sure if I liked that she left some empty space, with the blue showing through. On the one hand it might be a nice variation in the background to not have the sand dollars everywhere, and the blue does seem to echo the blue in the feather. But at the same time it just feels kind of empty and unnecessary, and I wonder if filling it with sand dollars, with the blue showing through the holes in the shells, would look better.
The Red Angle

Winter Throne
In "Winter Throne" the snow and the tree trunk are RIDICULOUSLY life-like, and I like the idea of the bird, but it feels fake. It might be the drawing style, or use of color-- I'm not sure-- but at least parts of it feel flat and fake in comparison to the photorealistic surroundings.

-Maria

http://dlfriedman.com/myblog/page/2/  <-- this is her blog where I found her info and pieces! Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment