Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Alan Bray







First Snow
My next landscape artist is Alan Bray. His paintings are different than ones that I typically look at. They remind me a lot of prints for some reason. I, of course, like the color in them, especially in “Sunset At Norway.” It captures the bright “unnatural” colors that the sunset evokes from the different subject matter; the bright orange on the green trees, and the bold pink in the light blue clouds.
Getting On The Ground

He definitely likes pattern in his paintings. Especially in the trees. Wow! I noticed it first in the trees in “Getting on the Ground” and it seems like once I became aware of it, I notice it in all his other paintings! Like the lines of the evergreen trees in “Sunset at Norway.” There’s also rhythmic patterns in the trees and the clouds in “Islands.” 
Islands

I love his strategic use of pattern in “First Snow.” Not only is there the pattern of the black and blue stripes in the water, but when you take a step back, you can see it form the reflection of the trees!

Sunset At Norway
He also uses line really well to draw the viewer’s eye all around the paintings. The diagonal lines formed by the mountain and the clouds add interest to the painting. The lines in “Islands” formed by the curve of the hill and the vertical trees and the horizontal and diagonal clouds, move the eye to look continually throughout the painting.

www.alanbray.com <-- This is where I got the photos of his works! Check it out!

-Maria


No comments:

Post a Comment