Monday, August 20, 2012

Abby Paffrath

So to continue with the batiking trend, the next artist we will look at is Abby Pafrath. I like her use of color in her batiks, as well as the subject matter she focuses on.
Fall Shadows
So I think "Fall Shadows" is one of my favorite pieces of hers. It looks more like a water color painting than a batik. I loved her use of color (as always), and I loved her portrayal of depth. I think some batiks can look pretty flat, without much implied depth , but with the shadows, and the trees shrinking in the background, the viewer can really sense the depth portrayed in this batik.
Lily Lady
In "Lily Lady" Paffrath uses simple, contour lines to depict the lady and the flowers she is holding. The lines, both literal, from where the wax was, and implied, by the vertical and diagonal stems of the flowers and braid on her head, draw the eye around the picture. The different shades of brown and black in the lady's hair give form to her head, and the different colors in the petals and leaves add to the beauty and variance of the batik.

Peacock Feather

Rise
Paffrath's use of line is seen to imply movement in her batiks. We see this in "Rise" and "Wild Rainbow." Her use of color adds interest and depth to the elements in her pieces, as seen in "The South Platte River" and "Fall Shadows". Both of these attributes make her pieces really cool-looking!
The South Platte River
In her artist statement on her website, Paffrath says,
"I create art because it helps me to connect with the world around me. To create art I am forced to slow down and really look, to observe and reflect and then translate what I see in my own unique way."

I like that method and it is definitely seen to pay off in her works.
Wild Rainbow
-Maria

http://abbypaffrath.com/ <-- this is where I found her artist's statement and other info, including her              pieces!

No comments:

Post a Comment