Thursday, July 19, 2012

Roger Bacharach

So I had this brilliant idea of doing 3 blog posts every other day-- that would knock out this bad boy in no time! And I was doing well on Monday....but then life and work set in, and well here I am, 3 days later without having blogged again since.

Anywho. So I started out this blog just looking for artists-- anybody who fit the criteria for the research, and seemed to do something that vaguely related to what I like to do. It wasn't very fun. Then one day I came upon a brilliant idea: what if I research artists who do works that actually inspire and intrigue me?! Crazyness, I know. But that's what I'm gonna try to do for the most part.

Japanese Sea Nettle

 With all that said, my next artist is Roger Bacharach. He's done work in various mediums and styles-- paintings, drawings, prints, collages, etc. I really want to look at his collages, well, because they inspire and intrigue me. These collages are made of tissue paper. I love how he achieved such details and realism in his pieces with such a medium as ripped up tissue paper! It's almost like a puzzle: he made the pieces of tissue paper fit and overlap and work together to create these final products. 



Sea Horse
Not to mention I also love under the sea things. I love water and being in and under the water. And for the most part I love many of the things found in the water. As cheesy as it sounds, it really is like a whole new world.
Long Spine Squirrel Fish

According to his website, he says, "I prefer to paint people, caught in a moment of time, engaging the viewer to share that moment." But he also says that as an artist he stretches himself with other styles, mediums, and subject matter, such as the collages of sea life.

Whether it is the sea life or people he comes across, his works act as storytellers of where he's been and what he's seen. I like that a lot. I can get so wrapped up in the technique or the composition or the subject matter, itself, that I forget how they work together to go one step beyond a pretty picture and actually tell a story.

-Maria
http://www.rogerbacharach.com/about.html



No comments:

Post a Comment