Friday, July 6, 2012

It Looks So Real

All American
So if you haven't noticed already, I really like realism, even if the artist had to use tricks to make it look the way it does. This means that of course I'm gonna love trompe l'oeil, and as these blogs go on, I'm realizing just how great my love for it is! (It's pretty great).

So my next artist does a trompe l'eoil style quite well. But Eric Conklin, the artist in question, seems to more often do small scale pieces. Not that they're tiny, but some people do wall-size trompe l'eoils, while he does smaller ones. Many of his give the illusion that they are framed in some sort of shadow box. 

By focusing on the use of light and shadow, and a fixed viewpoint, Conklin successfully depicts figures and objects with a sense of volume, contained in an area thats back goes further back.

Many of his pieces seem to have a childhood theme. Whether it be with Disney character figurines as the subject matter, or boards that look like blackboard palettes from an old time schoolhouse.  According to the Traditional Fine Arts Organization, Conklin's "goal is to use his illusionist paintings to engage viewers of all ages to look at art with new appreciation" (http://www.tfaoi.com/aa/8aa/8aa280.htm).  And he seems to want to do subject matter that a person, no matter his age, could relate to.
I Hate Snakes


 His wife is quoted as saying, "If it doesn't fool the eye, it's a still life" (ericconklin.com/biography.html). I love that!

According to ericconklin.com, Conklin started his art career quite young actually. And I'm sure it helped that his mother was an artist, herself (ericconklin.com). The site also notes that as he was devloping as an artist and doing pieces, he was very precise and diligent in the details. This is especially important for an artist pursuing the trompe l'eoil style.

Conklin's work encourages me in my artwork. So often I get more focused on the technique of art, that I forget about the purpose or message of it. I admire his goal in getting all people to appreciate art, through his artwork.


Miss Vikki's Class - Chalmer's Coin



http://www.tfaoi.com/aa/8aa/8aa280.htm
http://www.ericconklin.com/applications/PhotoGalleryManager/gallery.asp

-Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment