Friday, July 27, 2012

Kay Polk

So the next portraiture artist I want to look at is Kay Polk. She does the more traditional-type portraits. According to her site, she is "nationally known for her charming portraits of children." The site says she  typically uses either oils, pastels, or charcoal.  

Alexandra
To be honest at first I wasn't about looking at this artist because I was worried it would be boring. Of course I like the realism and details in these pieces, but at the same time when I see how the children are dressed, my initial reaction is "Seriously? That is so staged!"

Cami
And I mean, yes, many of them are staged. But that's on purpose. That helps her achieve her "charming" portrayal of the children. So it really depends on what the artist is trying to do, that decides whether the composition of the piece should look "set up" or not. 

Hunt
I do like how some of them don't seem as staged or at least not as "perfect." The above piece, "Hunt," tells more of a story of a hunting trip. And the below piece, "Sunny" shows a smiling girl with blonde hair, shining in the sunlight. Her hair obviously has been tossled and isn't perfect, but more realistic to the fun-in-the-sun that she's just had. Overall it's a more traditional style, but a good style.

Sunny

Virginia

http://www.kpolk.com/TOC.html

-Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment