Saturday, July 21, 2012

Jerry Uelsmann

So my next artist does a style rather different than what I typically do. Jerry Uelsmann is an American photographer. His style of work actually reminds me a bit of that of Salvador Dali's. 
 I like the use of the grayscale in his work. I feel like it makes it less distracting, so that the focus is on the subject matter and the relationships between the elements in the pictures.
 A quote of his, featured on his site, uelsmann.net, says, "The camera is essentially a license to explore." That seems to capture accurately the essence of his works. He seems to play with the relationships of the different subject matter. It kind of reminds me of the Twighlight Zone TV show-- it would take things that we expect to have a certain relationship to each other, and change it around.

Other quotes of his on the site say, "Ultimately, my hope is to amaze myself," and "Decisive moments may also occur within the entire process."His art is not a duty or obligation, rather it is a mode of exploration and discovery that he just happens to share with us. His art is very much for his own benefit , in addition to the viewer's.

-Maria

http://www.uelsmann.net/ <-- check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment