Saturday, July 28, 2012

Adela Tavares

Third time's the charm, right? Well I think that can apply to this third portraiture artist. She does also do other subject matter in her paintings, and I am going to look at at least one of those pieces, too. But right now I'm going to start off by looking at some of her portraits.

Introspection
To say that she has some lively brush strokes in her paintings would be on the brink of an understatement. The thing that I like is that the brushstrokes are intentional and purposeful. They are not just there for the sake of having bold brush strokes in a painting. Rather, she has a purpose for them, whether it's to depict curly, frizzy hair, or to convey movement. 

Lucia
I like her mix of the abstract broad strokes, often of bold colors, balanced by the calmer, smoother strokes and more realistic parts of the painting. Like in the above painting, "Lucia," Tavares used broad, brightly colored strokes to convey the full, frizzy, curly hair of the girl, but then it is balanced by the smooth complexion of her face, neck and shoulders. This technique gives the painting more interest...I like that.


Nightmare
^Haha! I get it. It looks kind of nightmare-ish, but then the colors also make it look like night and it is a horse-- like a mare! So night mare! Ha! Clever! :)

Portrait of an Artist
On the site she says the broad, abstract strokes are also used to convey who the people are. On her site she says, "Indeed, my portraits are intended to say as much, if not more, about me and my vision of the subjects as they say about the subjects themselves." That is a good but challenging combination that she does well.

http://adelatavares.com/gallery/

-Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment