Saturday, June 30, 2012

Marie Matthews

Jester



The next artist is a watercolor-er. Her name is Marie Matthews, and is from the beautiful peach state of Georgia! Her work was first shown 7 years ago and has been becoming better well-known ever since.



Her watercolor pieces tell stories. And you know how much I love stories! She seems to focus on describing where she's been in her stories, whether that be in a cemetery, or New Orleans, or Atlanta. She describes where she's been by the people and things in those places. When there are people to show, she shows them in a portrait style, but includes accessories and poses that helps give the idea of WHO each of them is. 


Grandpa Elliot
What's funny about the painting to the left is I actually recognized the man portrayed in it! The painting is from Matthew's New Orleans collection. When I saw it, it reminded me of this youtube video I saw of different people around the world singing "Stand By Me." SO I figured I'd watch/listen to the video while I blogged, and it turns out it was the same guy! Haha! If you don't believe me, check it out, yourself! (http://youtu.be/Us-TVg40ExM)

Oakland-- Ivy Garland and Bell Tower Ridge

So like I said, she tell's stories and portrays the people in a way that shows their personality.



I enjoy the watercolor medium because it can have precise edges, but also leave some to the imagination. I also love that the negative space becomes the highlights. Matthews uses it well in her pieces.


I would like to practice with it more and see what I can do...


-Maria


http://mmatthews.com/cats/new_orleans.html <-- check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment