Monday, May 21, 2012

Blood and Guts and Water, Oh My!

Folds
Alright, so the plan was to post on Wednesdays or Thursdays, but life happened last week and that plan failed, so here's post #2 finally. So last time I did my favorite deceased artist, and this week I'll do one of my favorite living artists: Adriana Varejão. I ran across her work when I was doing a report on an artist for an art class in high school, and I am still a big fan. 

She is a Brazilian artist. Her work is said to be basically a commentary on the history of Brazil as well as the art making experience. The two types of her art that I am most familiar with are the ones that have blood and guts, and the ones that deal with water. To be honest, the blood and guts are portrayed terribly well, and I respect her ability and message shown in those pieces, but the work that made her one of my favorite artists is her skill at portraying water. Of course her pieces are not solely based on water; they convey other messages. But for a long time I have been fascinated by water portrayed in art-- how the refraction of the light is captured, and how the depth, along with the changing shades of the blues and greens of the water are portrayed-- and she has been able to do it very well. For that reason she is my post #2, and I hope you enjoy her work as much as I do!

O Hungaro

Here are some of the links I referred to for info about her and to see more photos of her works :)

www.brooklynmuseum.org/eascfa/feminist_art_base/gallery/adriana_varejao.php
www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2011/sep/15/artist-adriana-varejao
www.lehmannmaupin.com/#/artists/adriana-varejo/
www.adrianavarejao.net/site#/eng/museums_and_collections
    
O Voyeur


-Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment